Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Midnight Bridges (The Self-Titled Album)

I have never tried to articulate what a midnight bridge is, except once, the day I started this blog, in a poem to TP. I'll give you the first three lines, the next 11 (yes, I write strange sonnets) belong to TP.

"there are midnight bridges i want to build
with you, working in hard rain toward morning,
waking from nightmares for fresh cut flowers"
What is a MidnightBridge? It is the kind of connection made in the middle of the night, the kind of work that takes all night, the connection that people haven't thought about before. The combination that makes people reconsider their assumptions. It the work that we need to do personally to be who we need to be professionally, publicly, personally. It is, and has become, everything that this blog has been for me in the last nine (!) months.

And I have no idea what it, or this, will become. It would be incredibly pretentious and true to say that someday I want to reveal my real name and promote a newly minted novel from this page. It would be a little sad and true that I expect this page to dwindle as I devote myself more to both work and writing, and try to reconfigure my head so that writing can be considered both work and leisure. It is also true that this space has given me new ways to think about myself. Has made those combinations that have made me reconsider my assumptions, and that has to be a good thing, right?

Options I see before me:
A: Navel-gaze when tired and tipsy to the amusement of others
B: Write dense theory posts.
C: Try to talk about economics in ways that at least inspires me.
D: Share more workshop/journal/open mic writing-stuff.
E: Blend above with panache

Thoughts? Votes?

So what proclamation do I have tonight? What prediction for my future? What exhortation to my (~3) readers?

Go build yourselves a midnight bridge tonight. Let me know if it's a good route to somewhere awesome.

4 comments:

ben said...

Well, i enjoy C for the reason that i rarely "get" econ beyond a 101 understanding. And B is good because, honestly...dense theory is kind of my thing. D has been very cool, and fun to read. And I've always enjoyed A, which has been unfailingly uplifting.

If only there was an "all of the above" choice.

Huzzah for reconsiderations, midnight bridges, and most of all....you.

Thanks for all your writing here, and i look forward to whatever is next.

greymatters said...

I'm probably not good at thoughts on the subject, since my blog morphed drastically after my Mother received her diagnosis.

Right now, the blog is what I want or need it to be -- a little bit of everything and a whole lot of nothing ... LOL.

I figure when I have a clearer head -- perhaps after a few crossings of a midnight bridge -- the blog will have more focus. Anyway, I suspect (not that I know really) that your blog will become what you need it to be.

God, was that vague or what????

Chris C. said...

More of the same, please, plus everything new as you become it. That will do just fine. :)

Do you find that blogging affects stuff you do, even if you never post it? That happens to me a lot. I end up thinking things through as though I were preparing a post, and then it doesn't matter if I post it or not; the process was what mattered.

Ha. Process... Figures I'd view blogging as a "process." But maybe you do, too... :)

I always did wonder about "midnight bridges", but that's kinda what I thought you meant. I like how you explain it, though. And by the way, is that picture you? Because, damn, that's just what I thought you must look like! Now, how did I know that...?

Weezy said...

I like the all of the above too..., much like everyone else. I've been debating my place in the world too-- brought on by a Carol Anshaw reread.