Saturday, December 30, 2006

Your Mission

Hello.
I am sitting in my favorite coffeeshop in LiberalCity, RedState. TP is reading "Genderqueer" sitting next to me, and reading me tidbits occasionally, and I also have a HUGE cafe au lait next to me. This femme hasn't been happier for some time.

If you haven't been following the anti-transwoman stuff happening *all over the place* (but start with brownfemipower). Check it out. Bonus points to reading Winter's post, which deserves a hearty AMEN at the end of it. On Tuesday, there is a discussion on TransFeminism at the local feminist center for thought, and this has all given me plenty to think (and vent) about.

In April I am going to be the "feature" at the QueerOpenMic. This is really exciting, and a little bit terrifying. First I have to have enough stuff to read to fill 15 minutes. Really this won't be that hard, I have pages and pages of things. Honestly, I haven't even really processed what featuring will feel like. But before I even get around to writing more things or editing things I've written I'm faced with THE HARDEST WRITING ASSIGNMENT EVER. So I'm passing the buck.

Here is your mission:
Write my bio. Post it to the comments or email it to me: corinneblogger at gmail dot com

I hate writing this kind of thing, and I know that everyone hates writing this kind of thing. Generally though I wouldn't mind writing other people's bios. So write mine. My mother thinks it should be written with some magical realism. Since few of you actually know me. I'm very curious to see what you come up with.

6 comments:

greymatters said...

Winter was/is marvelous!

Good luck on the open mic thing.

And I am game on the bio thing. The thing is I am leaving town tonight and won't be back until 2007? Is that a coolism?

Corinne said...

GM, i would love to see the bio, even if you are out of town until 2007, i don't need to send it out for a couple weeks. enjoy your time away.

MBA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
greymatters said...

Oops. I was logged into my real email account versus my blog account. LOL

Excellent, C. I'll see you in 2007.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I've been following the brownfemipower et al. discussion and am considering my own post about it.

Don't tempt me with the Write-Corinne's-Bio concept, lol! Yes, I hate writing them, and even more, I hate reading them, esp. if they are cute, flippant, excruciatingly adolescent, ponderous, too casual, or trying too hard. Which doesn't leave a lot of room, ha ha.

I actually resent the whole damn thing, because it usually feels like an attempt to plug one into a predigestible category so it can be decided if one should matter, or not. Or else an appeal to one's ego. No wonder we're tempted to subvert the form.

I prefer to approach it as an extension of the work, part of the art itself, and not a recitation of one's institutional qualifications. I want to give the consumer further context for the work, but other than that it's none of their business. But that's just me.

My suggestion: Find out the limits on length, then think hard about who you're talking to. (Make it a range of people.) Think about what you want to say to them specifically. Decide if you're using first or third person.

Then: Seduce them, baby. Write it like it's a cross between advertising copy and your realest soul. You want people to be sufficiently intrigued to show up, but you also want them to respect you and the power of your work.

Avoid anything that will make you embarassed by the time you're 50. And ANYTHING about your pets.

Hm. That's not what you asked us to do, was it?

*blush*

*ducking out before succumbing to temptation to offer any more unsolicited advice*

Weezy said...

Have a wonderful awesome new year!