Monday, January 08, 2007

Foodie Meme

(Thanks to GreyMatters for allowing me self-identify, do yourselves the same favor).

What cooking shows do you watch?

Sister, MD and I have been watching Top Chef. It is one of the only cooking shows that doesn't mildly annoy or bore me.

Your top three favorite cookbooks are:
The Joy. Moosewood Cooks for a Crowd. Essentials of Classical Italian (Marcella Hazan).

Your must-have kitchen accessory is:
Silicone spatula, cast-iron skillet/frying pan (the one with sides).

What is your go-to ingredient?
Olive oil, garlic, cumin, red wine. Fresh produce.

How many courses should a meal have?
Um. However many it needs to use up the yummy things in your fridge?

What’s your favorite course?
I've always been really intrigued by cheese courses, I also love salads. Dessert is yummy. But really, most of the meals I cook don't have courses, they are just a bunch of food on a table that people enjoy, with dessert at the end.

What nationality of food do you like the best?
For real? You want me to choose? Italian, South American, TexMex. Spicy things, things that make *amazing leftovers*.

What’s your favorite meal of the day to prepare?
Breakfast, dinner. I also *love* baking bread and cakes, and whichever meal you want soup to be a part of.

Where do you find inspiration when creating a new dish?
Whatever is in the pantry.

What is your favorite comfort food?
"I sold my soul for fresh-baked bread."

Do you ever eat fast food? If so, what?
Does TacoCabana count?

What restaurant do you want to eat at that you haven’t yet?
So many, anything that costs more money than I've spent on a meal for a while, and some specific names that will out where Harbor City is.

What’s your favorite dessert?

The wedding cake my mother makes. Baked custard.

Are there wines or liquors that you cook with?
Usually just red wine... but I would like to expand my reportoire. Suggestions?

How much time do you spend cooking a meal just for yourself?
Usually around 15 minutes, sometimes up to three hours.

What scent in the kitchen do you love?
Fresh baked bread.

What ingredient(s) do you avoid/dislike?
Bacon. Highly process salad dressings.

What’s your secret splurge at the grocery store?
High quality chocolate. Organic, good-cuts of meat.

What’s your favorite midnight snack?
Blue corn tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, salsa.

Oh, and please deal with the Mission mentioned below, pay no attention to the ways in which Jack's comments make it impossible.

4 comments:

ben said...

What cooking shows do you watch?
Rachel Ray, oddly enough. I have a deficit of fast cooking, and I've copped more than one recipe from her. Also, nostalgic fav. for idiosyncratic reasons.

Your top three favorite cookbooks are:

My dad's recipe file, Betty Crocker Old Skool With Extra Butter (c. 1965), Food & Wine's Chicken

Your must-have kitchen accessory is:
wooden spoons out the ear. i go through them like nothing.

What is your go-to ingredient?
al dente linguine. unless the fridge is totally empty, i can do something with that.

How many courses should a meal have?
one. everything goes to table, and dessert rolls in at the end. With a few exceptions, I cook family style.

What’s your favorite course?
Wine.


What nationality of food do you like the best?
thai, indian, mexican. i am spice deprived much of the time.

What’s your favorite meal of the day to prepare?
Dinner.

Where do you find inspiration when creating a new dish?
Mostly improv. If i have a new recipe, it usually comes off my dad.

What is your favorite comfort food?
Roast chicken. You can't fuck it up, unless you try too hard.

Do you ever eat fast food? If so, what?
Wendy's. It's on the way to school.

What restaurant do you want to eat at that you haven’t yet?
Chino/Latino in Mpls is one of the few classy joints i haven't been to yet. Otherwise, my sister has told me of delicious rumors of a north indian joint outside of new haven.

What’s your favorite dessert?
Flan. Used to hate it, and then figured out i was incorrect.


Are there wines or liquors that you cook with?
Everything. If i drink it, i cook it. Tequila is one of my few favorites...it does really cool things with chicken. White wine for most deglazing. Whiskey is my standby...pot roasts, soups, etc.

How much time do you spend cooking a meal just for yourself?
If it takes longer than 20, it's probably not shorter than an hour.

What scent in the kitchen do you love?
Garlic, red pepper, bacon.

What ingredient(s) do you avoid/dislike?
I went on an unintentional strike from cooking with beef a while back. I eat burgers when i'm out, but most commercial beef is just not worth it.

What’s your secret splurge at the grocery store?
Shrimp.

What’s your favorite midnight snack?
Soy milk and dark chocolate.

Oh, and please deal with the Mission mentioned below, pay no attention to the ways in which Jack's comments make it impossible.

educand - said...

LOL! I literally laughed out loud about your exhortation re: the bio. I take it you're lacking in volunteers?

Chris C. said...

I am wounded.

I thought I was being helpful...

*mopes*

Chris C. said...

Okay, how's this:

"________, bespectacled scientist by day, heats up the blogosphere by night! Spinning midnight bridges of steel and silk, crossing chasms is her after-dark career. Come get a rare off-line piece of the on-line action!"

Well, anyway, it's a start; perhaps it will give you a precipice to back off from, lol.

Maybe some of your other fans on here would like to add to it, or subtract. Eight heads are better than one!

So is tomorrow the big day? Yay! Have fun! Break a leg! Break two legs!

:)