Thursday, January 11, 2007

Queer OpenMic, Redux

QOM was amazing tonight, it was the 7th year anniversary and so there were many people who came back, the whole night was like a train on a track gathering speed with each word like another piston thrusting perfectly, and the feature was amazing and I bought hir book.

Speaking of features, to be clear, I'm featuring on Thursday, April 12th. I'm considering giving further details here, but it would mean outing myself and I have mixed feelings.

As to the bio, I haven't started it, it still terrifies me. Jack, you were helpful, but now I have a set of goals and goals mean only one thing... impending doom and failure ;). Further, one of the main barriers to me being a writer, at all, like typing this right now, is thinking that I am being dreadfully self-indulgent and maybe a little catty. Both traits I abhor in myself (and others, but mainly, myself). Write a bio, believing that you have a bio to write is self-indulgence defined.

As to what I'll read -- also complicated. My mother is thinking about attending. I will need to inform her that I identify as femme, am a flirt, and talk about sex, a lot. Other people who have never seen me in this community may also be there. It should be interesting.

1 comment:

Chris C. said...

Your mother?!!! WHoly sh*t!

Whoa, girl, I don't envy you! But hey, you'll manage. Think of it as education. (That's my fall-back position when I'm waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat...)

So listen, Corinne, forget everything I said about creating a bio. In fact, delete the post if you want, I don't care at all. Goals are very counter-productive for me, too, and that certainly wasn't what you asked for! :)

I fully agree with you about the feeling of self-indulgence in writing a bio. Ideally they should be drafted by someone else, but it's a little hard for those of us who don't actually "know" you.

I will remind you that the following is always good: "________ lives in HarborCity."

Seriously. I use the equivalent more often than not.

Consider adding a single vivifying phrase. Example that I've used: "JD lives in the Mojave Desert and plays with colors in an old cabin."

Very, very simple. Places me in space and action while not allowing the consumer to stereotype me and make assumptions and conclusions about my background or accomplishments. Actually, that's one of my objections to the bio form: It's all about positioning oneself and being positioned. After all, it's the work that should matter, not the bio.

Argh, I hope I haven't added to your troubles again. Obviously, I have lots to say on this subject. Maybe I should make a post on it, instead of using up your comments! :)