Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Calculations of Self Worth

I know I've been MIA, and it's because I've been in a funk. My insides churning with reformulations, and my mouth tightly shut. I've been disengaging from the world, pulling into myself and trying to figure some stuff out.

So, in the past month, I've picked up my running program again, sent a loved one thousands of miles away, started a new job, and started doing creative writing with some intention. All of these things have made me wonder who I am, what I'm doing, what I'm worth. Not without some anxiety and self-deprecation. I think that all of us have these demons gnawing at us, and I am trying very hard to keep them at bay in my own head.

NewJob is going well. I haven't screwed up royally yet, though I'm inclined to think that it could happen any day. The whole idea of this job, for those who missed the memo, is to figure out whether I like research and economics enough to pursue a Phd in that accursed discipline. The trouble is with the word enough. I feel like I've chosen a path, but I think that I might define anything as 'enough' to not have to admit that academia isn't what I want, because if it isn't that I have no idea what is.

TP left about a week ago. The visit was wonderful -- not without disagreements or hard days, but each of those led to growth, and I miss hir everyday, more than I can quite admit to. There is more to say, but the wheels of my brain are still spinning desperately trying to make sense of my heart.

I went to a writing workshop last week, and wrote and read what I had written. It was wonderful and intense. The format was to receive a fairly open prompt, my favorite was a miniature slinky passed around the group, and then write for 20-30 minutes, and then read. In three hours we did three prompts, and I wrote about: marriage/committment/divorce, body issues, and my own contested and conflicted gender identity. I left feeling like I'd voluntarily slammed myself against a concrete wall, but it was a cool wall, and the day was so warm... I'll be going back there. Plus, it's an explicitly queer space, and I need more of those. (I might post some workshop pieces if it seems worthwhile -- any votes?)

And then there is the running. I think that the above three things have been enough to throw my sense of self a little out of whack. Especially some combination of the career apprehensions and the renewed interest in creative writing, something that 8 years ago would have been at the top of my life goals.

So how do I handle these waves? I take them out on my body. When my other measures of self-worth are failing, I fall back on crappy societal standards of body image. So, I'm back to old tricks (that aren't quite mine) -- logging 20 mile weeks, and counting calories. I bought a heart-rate-monitor yesterday, and was running at 6am. The thing is that running is good for me: it lets me clear my head, and enables me to feel okay about my body, and is a way to be outside. But it slips far too easily into a scary terrain I've always kept myself on the edge of, and I'm still there on the edge, just this side of the numbers.

There are so many measures of self-worth -- intellect, integrity, compassion, work ethic. I've used each of these models. But there is also a way in which I was taught to gauge my self-worth off of my grades and my body. It was never that explicit, but I did grow up in an imperfect radical feminist household where grades were posted on the fridge and everyone went around the table at night and said how many grams of fat they'd had in the day.

Is it any wonder that I don't know what to think of myself?

(PS: I'd find a better ending, but I want to go watch the sunset with my gin n' juice, and who can deny me such a simple pleasure)

4 comments:

ben said...

i definitely vote to see the workshop pieces...

And i hear you very well on "enough." I worry about it considerably, especially since the field i really want to study isn't quite an academic discipline.

indeed there is so much drama in the LBC. enjoy the gin and juice.

DeniseUMLaw said...

I just found your blog from Greymatters at Lobal Warming. Very, very cool.

As a newbie reader, who knows nothing of you as yet (but looks forward to learning) I vote to see the workshop pieces. I was completely taken with your description of the workshop and wished even then to see what you had written.

You've got a good handle on self-worth. Mainly, you have a good head (and it sounds like a great heart). Allow yourself to understand with your intellect that you're worthy; it's so much better than the alternative.

However, as for running? I can't imagine what the person chasing me would have to be carrying in order to induce me to run again! :)

Weezy said...

I'll just give ya a hug and leave it at that. Be well :)

Chris C. said...

Corinne, I so get the sort of "disengage" place; you know that's been my own street address lately, though it's hard to keep the solicitors away from the door. Anyway, I value that place totally even if it feels "funky." It's necessary.

When I first read, "I take them out on my body," my first hit before really seeing what you wrote was, "Good, she's grounding in her body." Then I realized that wasn't exactly what you were saying.

When I go to the "disengage" space, it's all about grounding in my body. My body is the source of my health, not the object of my health. Our corporeal selves are to keep us honest. I was extremely ungrounded when I was younger and "out of" my body. I worked for years (and am still working) to reintegrate into my body. When I start getting wiggy, I can step back and see that I'm not in my body, and then I can forget about whatever "issues" are plaguing me and focus on getting inside my body again. The "issues" then disappear, or morph into something "real" that I can deal with, every time.

Cultural pressure and its emotional repercussions take us out of our bodies. The body "image" thing is just that. The "disengagement" I value is a moment of disengaging from cultural pressure, returning to my body, and feeling what it's trying to tell me.

So all I'm saying is, I support you in reclaiming your body, staying on the numberless side of "the edge", and using your body as your strength, not your victim.

Sorry for the unsolicited soliloquy, but the alientation from our bodies is nothing less than a national disaster and it doesn't have to be. Sore point with moi.

Glad to have you posting again. :)