Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sisters, Quilts, and Self-Induced Angst

Tonight I finished the sqares for my sister's wedding quilt -- they are imperfect, beautiful, and done; there are still major design pieces that need to be worked out, but the squares are pieced and tomorrow I can start to size them and put them together, and have something to actually give the lovely women on their wedding day. If I can borrow my mother's digital camera you all might be able to see them, because really, I'm pretty proud.

But, of course, being me, I combined this process with a fair dose of emotional turmoil by watching Little Women while quilting. Other than the fact that we are only three sisters, and not four; that our mother was a single parent; no one has died of scarlet fever; and that it isn't the late nineteenth century -- I grew up in this book.

And it just *resonated* a little too fucking much tonight. Me and my handful of chocolate chips are going to bed!

Countdown to matrimony: 13 days (after midnight, damn, I need to go to bed)

3 comments:

Weezy said...

Oooooo I'm so jealous of your quilting skills. I'd love to learn!

I grew up by a place that had an amish quilt auction every year and they were SO beautiful!

ben said...

as a recent other people's weddings survivor...i suggest taking a flask.

But chocolate works too...

belledame222 said...

"Little Women," the Beth death scene, was the first book that ever made me cry.