Wednesday, October 11, 2006

26.6 Miles Later: Another Random Ten List

  1. I have a big meaty post in the editing stage about how data can fight racism, sexism, classism, etc. I talk about Foucault, and my work and it makes me smile. But it does not cohere, so it is not posted.
  2. Backpacking was fabulous -- the most technically challenging stuff I've ever done, and one 11.8 mile day, so today is the first day that I'm not sore, but good God, was it gorgeous!
  3. Today work was insane, maybe because it started out with me learning about improper integrals (you know the type, who show too much leg as they take the limit to infinity), and then I gave a pint of blood, and then, then, I actually started to deal with two data projects, a finance SNAFU, a new job assignment, and a new data project (with co-authorship potential!). Whew!
  4. I'm performing at the QueerOpenMic tomorrow - an updated version of the piece about landscape/sex/home/transitioning that I posted here about a month ago. Someday, maybe I'll gain legitimacy in that space without being the partner of a transthing, maybe someday I'll stop worrying about my own legitimacy enough to live my life. Maybe, someday, my concerns about legitimacy will focus themselves on something other than what I should wear.
  5. Friday I fly to RedState to visit TP. Just thinking about it makes me feel like I have wings.
  6. Planning trip to ELAC-Town for Veteran's Day weekend, but HistoryMentor has a house guest that weekend so I can't stay with her. She just asked me for a letter of reference ::BLUSH:: and is one of my favorite people in the whole world, and sent me back an email with the houseguest news and the words "are your dates firm?" Well, I thought they were until I got that email.
  7. It's National Coming Out Day. I'm living in a gray space with this at work right now. I know that some people assume that I'm with a man, and I know that some people must see my little sticker saying "Transsexual Women are Our Sisters", and I know that I hate not knowing who knows about my queerness.
  8. I love working my body hard, depending on it to get me through the day -- why wasn't I called to be a construction worker or a farmer instead of a sedentary, data-crunching, academic. I would be just as useful to the world if my brain were hardwired to a keyboard.
  9. I'm totally open to advice on any of the above 8 bits of life drivel.
  10. Did you see the part in #3 about potential co-authorship? OMG.

3 comments:

Chris C. said...

Welcome home. *s*

Seems I always have so much to say in response to your posts that I get frustrated and say nothing. Irritating.

Have fun at the open mike... :)

Corinne said...

ok, jack, i'll narrow it down. you only have to read the *even* numbers and respond to them :) i know what you mean though -- the ultimate double-edged sword of the blogosphere.

greymatters said...

I did latch onto #3 (old habits die hard) ... whooooo-hooooo!

And, I would suggest just throwing up what you have on your half-baked Foucauldian thoughts. Feedback and fresh "eyes" are always good things, IME.